This virtual instrument is a crossover between a wavetable synthesizer and a granulating sample player specialized in generating vocal sounds. Pipa simulates the sound of human voices in a new way; instead of using ordinary samples or processing oscillators with formant filters, Pipa uses a large database of wavetables extracted from real vocal samples. The benefit of this technique is that it’s possible to seamlessly morph between those wavetables with proper phase alignment. This technique enables Pipa to continuously make transitions between pitch, formants and dynamics, which is very useful in a musical context.
Show description Hide description
* Features both male and female voices
* Continuous morphing between formants, dynamics and pitch
* Separate envelopes (with linked release time) and LFOs for formant, dynamics, gain and pitch
* Plenty of factory presets
* Two MIDI Assignable controllers (Ctrl1 and Ctrl2) for controlling formants, dynamics, pitch and gain
* Legato mode with control over both pitch glide time and velocity glide time
* Voice spatialization
* Room simulation (5 different rooms to choose from)
* Reverb (6 different algorithms to choose from)
Full documentation, audio examples and video demos available at https://klevgrand.se/products/pipa
Note that Pipa consumes quite some CPU - a modern iPad is highly recommended. Pipa is also only available as an AUv3 plugin to be used in an AUv3 compatible host application like Garageband, Cubasis, AUM or similar.