DeDuplicate fills a void that cloud storage services left: the removal of duplicate files. Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox etc. don't have built-in tools to identify and delete duplicates.
Show description Hide description
If you store many files on the cloud, it's very easy to lose control and flood your limited space! Especially since nowadays the mobile versions of apps like Dropbox have automatic backup features, things can escalate quickly.
(Real life example: I use OneDrive, and I enabled the auto-backup for all my WhatsApp media folders. Sometimes, those media are received and forwarded more than once. The result? The same image or video gets uploaded to the cloud in multiple copies, inevitably reducing the amount of free space.)
This app scans your cloud, searching for identical files and allowing you to delete all the extra copies! Saving space and tidying up.
How does it work:
1) You log into your account.
2) You choose which folder(s) to scan, or the entire drive, and wait a short while! The time varies with the NUMBER of files, not their size.
3) You review a list of all the duplicates that have been found, optionally choosing which ones to ignore.
4) You confirm the operation!
Other than the ease of use, the main highlights of DeDuplicate and its unique selling points are:
- it’s not resource-hungry: it doesn't need to actually download the files in order to identify duplicates. Instead, it requests metadata about them to the cloud providers, using the APIs that they make available. So it doesn't waste bandwidth, doesn't need a lot of free space on your device and it's very fast: less than 10 minutes for 100.000 files in the tests conducted during development. Of course, it depends upon the network connection.
- It precisely identifies exact duplicate files because it compares their "hashes". If two or more files happen to have the same name and/or size, but different contents, they are not counted as duplicates. They MUST have the same content!
- The entire process takes place in the user's device. There's absolutely no data collection about the user's files: no information gets through intermediary servers or anything, the app communicates directly with the cloud provider.
The app asks for tracking permissions in order to show personalized ads; you can refuse, and the adds will be non-personalized. That request has absolutely nothing to do with your files!
Why this app and HOW COULD I ACHIEVE THE SAME THING WITHOUT IT?
When it came down to it, the only way to remove duplicates on the cloud turned out to be the time-consuming procedure of downloading everything to your computer in order to use one of the many utilities that delete duplicate files on the hard disk, “offline”. When done, the changes would have to be synchronized to the cloud; in the worst-case scenario, you have to re-upload everything from scratch. That’s not a viable option when you have over 500 GB of unorganized cat pictures :) And of course you can't do that on your phone.
DeDuplicate currently supports:
- Google Drive
This app is free, with ads. The ads are unobtrusive as they appear during the scanning process, without interrupting it. We will soon provide in-app purchase options to remove them altogether.
DeDuplicate is being actively developed. At first it was only for OneDrive, now it supports all the major platforms and others can be taken into consideration.
Remember: this is just the first version! If you encounter an error, please take the time to contact us instead of leaving a bad review, it can be very helpful for the both of us! Win-win.